Basketball, music, sports, politics, movies Rumbling's of Wahday: An Open Letter to David Stern

Friday, June 09, 2006

An Open Letter to David Stern

Dear Mr. Stern

You are widely regarded as the best commissioner is sports. I believe you are, but this year you have failed miserably in the NBA playoffs with the culmination happening at the NBA finals. My first examples is the Conference Semi Finals. There were three game 7's. The chance to show them all on a Sunday. At Noon, At 3 and then at 7. The entire nation could watch the most exciting game in the world, with teams fighting for their last breath. What did you do? One game played on Sunday, two games played on Monday. The Monday games began at 8:30 and then again at 11:30 PM eastern time. Who on the east coast is going to stay up that late to watch games? Not me or anyone I know.

The last example is the NBA Finals. Every game is played on a Tuesday, Thursday or a Sunday. The worst part? The games start at 9:15PM!!!!! I couldn't even watch the first half of last nights game. I went to bed with 3 minutes left to go in the 2nd quarter. It was 10:30PM. There is no way the game finished before 12 or 12:30 AM EST. It is ridiculous. People have to work, Kids have to go to sleep. There is no point having these games on so late.

When I was a kid, I remember watching Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, and the first 3 Michael Jordan championships. I could stay up to watch them, whether I was on the east coast or the west coast. There were Finals games on Saturday afternoon, and when my dad got home from playing golf we would watch the NBA finals together. I hardly imagine that is happening in this day and age. My kids would have to go to bed before the game even started. They would not have a chance to watch the games, then go outside and pretend they were making the same moves that Dwayne Wade, Dirk Nowitski and Shaq are making. No chance to talk about them with friends. It's sad. Because the games are on so late, you are not creating what you need most. New Fans. If the games began at 7:30PM EST the west coast would miss the first quarter, and the east coast could watch the entire game. Instead we are getting games beginning at 9:15 and the East Coast is in bed by the time the final score is posted. Me personally, I'd rather miss the first quarter, and watch the rest of the game, then watch the first quarter and miss the rest of the game.

Mr Stern, please fix this problem next year. I want to see basketball thrive, it is my favorite sport, but even I who breathe basketball cannot watch half the games on TV. Make the games earlier so everyone can enjoy them. Especially the kids.

Thank you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home